Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The purpose of this role is to support the pilot mobile Early Childhood Education project in Konduga, Gwoza, Mafa and Kaga Local Government Areas of Borno State.
Dimension of Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria and with partners and related government institutions.
- The post holder will coordinate the mobile EiE pilot project and also document lessons learnt, support assessments and monitoring and evaluation of the Education in Emergencies components of Plan International’s emergency response.
- He/she is responsible for assessment, response analysis, design, capacity building.
- The post holder will also contribute towards the capacity building of Plan Internationals implementing partners.
- Programme development & Quality Management.
- In collaboration with the Field Team and Education and Livelihoods Specialist, the EiE Officer shall:
- Coordinate the implementation of mobile EiE project.
- Support the EIE Specialist in designing the plan for the mobile units.
- With support from Community Engagement Officer mobilize and sensitize community on the new project.
- Support in documenting lessons learnt and best practices of the pilot project.
- With support from M&E team design a Monitoring plan and simple data collection tools to ensure monitoring and data collection of key project indicators.
- Support assessment of Education sector in North East.
- Review, assess and update the education situation in areas affected by emergency.
- Highlight education issues requiring a response – both immediate (less than 2 months) and medium term and make recommendations on specific PLAN actions required. Ensure core commitments to children are taken into consideration.
- Ensure key data from assessments could be used as a baseline for program evaluation. If additional baseline data is required to evaluate children’s learning outcomes, then work with appropriate colleagues to collect this additional information.
- In collaboration with national and international Education actors, map current institutional response capacities – including conducting an education specific 5Ws.
- Support in designing appropriate education interventions based on the outcomes of assessments and the context. Inclusion of quality issues in education and learning outcomes is really important.
- Ensure that issues of early childhood, gender, protection, DRR, and conflict sensitivity are factored into the program design.
- Ensure Plan international guidelines, UN education cluster standards and INEE Minimum Standards, are considered and any departures documented.
- Provide regular updates to Education and Livelihoods Specialist, Humanitarian Program Manager, humanitarian unit and the rest of the CO on progress, priorities and constraints – verbally and in writing on an agreed frequency.
- Represent Plan International to clusters, governmental and non-governmental groups as needed and agreed with the Team Leader.
- Support the implementation of, and represent Plan International in, emergency education coordination mechanisms including any relevant cluster.
- Brief updates and reports on sectoral activities/strategies to donors and other stakeholders.
- Perform any other project related duties as specified by the Child Protection in Emergencies Specialist
- Human Resource Development
- Supports the orientation, on-going development/training and builds capacity of local partner staff when required.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- University degree or equivalent in Education, Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, or related fields.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant working experience Education in Emergencies.
- Experience working in emergency settings.
- Good knowledge and understanding of DO NO HARM principles and established international child protection standards (especially UNCRC).
- Experience with participatory approaches to education, emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, or other related area.
- Experience working with IDPs, refugees and other vulnerable populations (ideal).
- Experience in mobile EiE units desirable but not essential.
- Previous experience directly providing services to children at risk and victims of abuse, exploitation and violence.
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Provides good and adequate administrative and logistical support to enable programmes to meet meets it’s agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and organizational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations.
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others.
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility.
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Languages: Excellent command of English language.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Note: Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.